MAST Update Week Six
Sunday, December 19, 2021
Dear MAST Athletes, Parents and Coaches:
The MAST Board of Directors and I met tonight to discuss the latest developments in the spread of COVID and whether we can safely follow through with the Giants Ridge Camp. Given the current rate of COVID spread, the unknown danger of the Omicron variant, and the terrible strain on resources that our hospitals and emergency rooms are currently facing, we have decided that it is best to cancel camp this year. Giants Ridge Camp is an important MAST tradition, and it is painful for me to cancel camp for the second year in a row. Our Vision Statement reads: “Creating lifelong skiers and exceptional citizens.” All of us can be exceptional citizens right now simply by doing all we can to slow the spread of COVID. At a minimum, we should do everything we can to not add to the strain our health care system is under.
MAST will be mailing refunds to all camp participants. If you paid by credit card, we will deduct the credit card fees incurred at registration. If you paid by check or account credits, your payment will be refunded in full.
This last-minute cancelation creates hardship for the many businesses and services on the Iron Range that we utilize during camp. In particular, Camp Chicagami has been an invaluable partner with us over the years. When I called Randy tonight to tell him that we had to cancel our reservation, he became noticeably sad. He truly enjoys our group and was looking forward to seeing all of us again. But MAST also helps serve his larger mission, which is to provide an affordable summer camping experience to the youth living on the Iron Range. The groups that utilize camp in the winter months help keep the camp financially afloat. Randy’s winter reservations were already down this year due to COVID. Our cancelation just makes his effort to fulfill the camp’s mission that much more difficult. To help sustain Camp Chicagami through the pandemic, I will be sending Randy a donation before the end of the year. If you would like to join me, you can send Randy a check directly at: Camp Chicagami / 3755 Scout Camp Road/ Eveleth, MN 55734, or you can donate a portion of your refund. Just send me an email with the amount you would like to donate. I will pool any donations we receive and send them to Randy as a group donation without attribution.
We have a full slate of training available at Hyland over break. Please consult our website for the most up to date schedule.
This week, we will train in the morning Monday through Thursday, and in the afternoon Monday through Wednesday. I encourage you to attend the morning session and if you want additional training, to also attend the afternoon session. If you can’t make the morning session, then certainly come to the afternoon training at 5PM. I will update the website tomorrow with the training schedule for week seven (Dec. 27-Jan. 1).
Monday, Dec 20
9:30AM-Noon. All Pods--Lanes 1,2,3
5:00-7:15PM. All Pods--Lane 4
Tuesday, Dec 21
9:30AM-Noon. All Pods--Lanes 1,2,3
5:00-7:15PM. All Pods--Lane 3
Wednesday, Dec 22
7:45AM-10:30AM. All Pods--Lanes 1,2,3
5:00-7:15PM. All Pods--Lane 4,5
Thursday, Dec 23
7:45AM-10:30. All Pods--Lanes A,B,C
Friday, Dec 24-Sunday, Dec 26: OFF
My hope is that we can watch video together over break (virtually), either in small groups or in pods. I am also hoping to offer a ski tuning webinar during break as well. We cannot replace camp, but we can keep training hard. More to come.
Please, continue to wear your mask indoors, limit your social contacts, and stay out of public indoor spaces as much as possible over the next two weeks. By taking every precaution possible, we stand a better chance of making it through the end of the season safely and without the need to quarantine.
See you on the hill.