Minneapolis Alpine Ski Team
Update #1: Friday, August 31, 2018
Subject: MAST Registration OPENS Saturday, September 1, 2018!
Dear Athletes and Parents:
Although the official start of the high school ski season is still a full two and a half months away, registration for MAST opens on Saturday.
Why Is Registration Opening Now?
Simply put: large pool of returning racers, lots of interest from new skiers, limited roster spots. We need to know just how big our team is going to be this Winter so we can plan properly and give you the best athletic experience possible. Let’s get started.
Who Should Register Now?
You should register NOW if you can answer YES to these two questions:
1. Are you willing to make a commitment to attend practice a minimum of three to four times a week?
2. Are you will to work hard in practice to improve your skiing skills?
If you answered YES to both of these questions, you are invited to register now. If you can’t answer YES to both questions, you might want to wait and gather more information before making a final decision.
How Can I Learn More About MAST Before I Register?
1. Download and read the MAST FACT SHEET. The MAST Fact Sheet should cover most of the fundamental questions you might have about the team: costs, training times, general race information, equipment, etc.
2. Website: www.mplsalpineski.org. Certain pages on our website take a deep dive into different aspects of our sport and team. For instance, you can learn how to tune your skis or how to buy used skis and boots. The website will be updated continuously now through the end of the ski season, so it is worth checking back several times a week.
3. Call Mark Conway at 612-275-8392 if you have a more involved question. If the question demands more than a three or four sentence response, please call over email. If you have a simple question, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Is The Registration Process?
Actually, it is a TWO-STEP PROCESS. The first step is to register with MAST. The second step is to register with your high school athletic director. Attached is an important document that will guide you through this two-step registration process in detail. Please download, print and read carefully.
You can complete Step One at your convenience online starting Saturday, September 1. Here is a link: MAST Registration
You may be able to complete Step Two (registering with MPS/MSHSL) this early in the Fall, it depends on your athletic director. I suspect that most of the ADs are not yet accepting forms for the Winter sports season, but, if you really want to get this done now, it doesn’t hurt to ask.
Some final notes:
c/o Mark Conway
4800 Harriet Ave S
Unfortunately, registration is a bit complicated. Please take your time so that we have all the information we need and that it is accurate. And go through the MPS Athletic Registration Packet carefully, making sure that all initials and signatures are affixed. Remember, the athletic director must CLEAR every athlete to participate before he or she can begin practicing with us on November 12. Every year, someone is held back from participating because the athlete or a parent missed a signature line—or because a physical examination clearance form had expired. Don’t be THAT person THIS year.
That’s all… for now!
I look forward to seeing many of you Monday night at the Goat Barn.
Step One Link: MAST Registration
Step Two Link: MPS 2018-19 Athletic Registration Packet
State Fair Goat Barn Cleaning
We hope you have had a wonderful summer.
We are closing in on everyone's favorite MAST event:
The State Fair Goat Barn Cleaning Fundraiser.
Monday, September 3, 2018.... 5:30PM-8:30/9PM?
Anyone who can shovel, pitch, push, and sweep is welcome. For your service, you will gain free entry to the State Fair and experience the joy of working as a team to accomplish what at first glance appears to be a daunting task. And you will be helping MAST generate revenue to cover some of our race fees during the season. Look for an email later this month with information about how to sign up for this fundraiser and pick up State Fair Tickets.
If you know people who are interested in joining MAST, please encourage them to visit our website to sign up to receive MAST Updates.