I suggest that you bring a sack supper and water bottle to Welch. The food at Welch is expensive and I'm not even sure how much food will be available in the cafeteria. You can stuff a sandwich in your pocket and eat it on the chair if need be.
I am leaving for Welch early today to get the gates staged and at least one of the courses set. Please reach out to the other coaches if you have any questions or issues to discuss.
Joel (Washburn): 612-716-3186
Eleanor (Washburn): 612-723-9559
Matthew (SW bus): 612-220-1010
Bring your skis and bags to SW or Washburn. Check with your captains via Team Snap if you don't know where you go to store your bags.
Here are some other notes about the day.
1. I requested an early release of 12:45 for athletes from SW, Anthony, Washburn, Justice Page.
2. I requested an early release of 12:30 for athletes from Roosevelt, South, Northeast, and Sanford.
3. Buses are scheduled for loading at Washburn and SW at 1PM. Joel will be driving the trailer and meeting you at Washburn. The SW bus will have a trailer.
4. The Washburn bus will be returning to the cities so do NOT leave anything on that bus.
5. The SW bus will be staying and will be the bus taking athletes home after the race.
6. When you arrive at Welch, bring everything into the chalet except your ski bag. Put you ski bag in either the bus trailer or the MAST trailer.
7. Athletes need to pick up a lift ticket at the ticket window. They will ask you for your name and check to see that you and your parents have signed the competition waiver.
8. Find the team and get changed into your race gear.
9. Store your bag in a cubby... there are cubbies in the hallway off the main dining area and steel storage racks in the lower level next to the ticketing windows. Do not store your bags under tables or on the floor anywhere.
10. Take your first warm up run on Long Way Home... take is slow and just get used to the snow on your first run. Focus on your stance and balance and pole plant.
11. Hopefully we will have a coach directing warm ups after that, otherwise, work your normal warm up routine. Skip edge sets today.
12. Inspection will be side slip the fall line with in and out traverse to get a closer look.
13. Focus your efforts today on skiing a nice arc back to the gate, using the rut to your advantage. You do this by using the top of the rut to enter the turn. Exit the rut early if possible to stay on your line and hit the top of the next rut. Stay in balance. Today is not the day to boot cuff the gates. Ski a smooth, consistent line and stay relaxed and balanced at all times.
14. Be at the top of the course at the end of the first run. We will give you instructions on what to do next. You will either be asked to slip out the next course or slip in the old course so we can re-set.
15. After the second run, make a couple of slip runs to get the hill cleaned up.
16. Awards will be held as soon as the results get tabulated.
17. The bus will return to SW. If we are nice to the driver, maybe we can convince him to also make a stop at Washburn as well.
And for the Moore's: Bring The MEC Trophy!
Thanks all. Looking forward to a beautiful afternoon of ski racing.