Giants Ridge Camp Update 1
Tuesday, December 7, 2021
Dear MAST Athletes, Parents and Coaches:
The MAST Board met on Sunday afternoon. On the agenda: Giants Ridge Camp. Our main concern is the health and safety of our athletes, coaches, and anyone with whom we have regular contact. In other words, we don’t want camp to create an outbreak of covid cases.
To best achieve this goal, we need 100% buy-in from all families who would attend camp.
1. All attendees MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED (to whatever level you are eligible).
2. All attendees must take and pass (negative) TWO PCR covid tests (the spit test) prior to loading the buses. More specifically, the first test should be one week out from camp and the second test 48 to 72 hours out. So, a test on Dec 22-24 and a second test on Dec 26.
3. All attendees must be symptom free before loading the bus on the 30th.
4. All attendees MUST understand that this will minimize risks and create the safest experience possible, but it will NOT eliminate all risk.
5. All attendees MUST be prepared to be tested AFTER the camp if ANY person at the camp develops symptoms and tests positive afterwards.
6. Attendees need to understand that although a covid illness in fully vaccinated young adults is in most cases mild, it would result in a 10-day quarantine and the possibility of transmission to others (especially unvaccinated family members under the age of 5, older family members, or anyone with a suppressed immune system).
7. We RECOMMEND that any potential attendee who has a medical condition that makes them at higher risk for severe illness (for instance, diabetes, asthma, immune-suppressing condition) should NOT attend camp this year.
I plan to have several covid rapid tests at camp should anyone develop symptoms while we are there. Should anyone develop symptoms and test positive while at camp, we will do our best to keep the person separated from the group, but we will also ask the parent(s) to drive to camp to bring that athlete home for care.
Should anyone test positive prior to camp, you will receive a full refund of your camp fee.
A few additional notes about camp.
As you will read in more detail below, we are asking our skiers with limited skiing experience to attend training at Hyland instead of spending the money to go to camp this year. We are also giving our senior high athletes first dibs on filling camp positions. This does not mean that our middle school athletes cannot attend, just that our senior high youth will have a short window of time to secure a spot at camp before we confirm registration for any middle school athletes who want to attend.
Finally, you can see that camp is being held over the New Year. We will celebrate, but not for long and certainly not at midnight CST. We will exercise our imaginations and celebrate on Icelandic Time. We only have three days to train, and I want you to get your sleep so you can maximize your training. Plus, a rested body will be in a better position to activate its immune system. Lights out will not be extended this year to celebrate the new year. If you don’t like this plan, stay home.
Now... presenting everything you need to know about our three-day camp at Giants Ridge and how to register.
Join us for our 15th Annual Giants Ridge Camp.
Giants Ridge offers challenging terrain and sixty gate course sets.
Camp Goal: Build technical and tactical skills on full-length (60 gate) courses and changing terrain.
Dates: Thursday, December 30, 2021, to Saturday, January 1, 2022.
Transportation: Load Thursday morning at 6:00AM; Depart at 6:15AM from Washburn HS Parking Lot (49th and Pleasant). Return to Washburn around 10PM on Saturday.
Cost: $450 for 3 days skiing and 2 nights lodging. Camp fee includes transportation, meals, lodging, and lift tickets.
Who Should Attend:
1. Camp participants should be able to execute controlled carved turns on most terrain. Because the terrain at Giants Ridge is challenging and because we will have limited (but sufficient) coaching staff at camp, all participants should possess strong carving skills and be able to stay in control on steep terrain. If you are still learning to carve your turns, you will be better served training at Hyland over those three days. If you are unsure whether you meet these criteria, please talk with your coach at practice.
2. Because we were unable to hold camp last year, priority will be given to athletes in grades 9th through 12th. Everyone who wishes to attend camp can register anytime. However, camp space will be allotted to our high school athletes first and in the order that I receive payment through Monday, December 13. If you participated in the coffee/salsa fundraiser and plan to use the credits you earned to pay for camp, you can send a deposit of $50 to reserve your spot at camp. On Tuesday, December 14, I will start filling any open camp positions with 7th and 8th graders who have submitted registrations.
Payment: PLEASE PAY THE CAMP FEE BY CHECK INSTEAD OF CREDIT CARD. The $450 camp fee is designed to break even and does not absorb the 3.39% cc fee that is charged to MAST when you pay by credit card (the American Express rate is even higher). We have built this expense into the price of registering for Supplemental Training, but not into the fee for camp. So, PLEASE help our budget and pay by check for the Giants Ridge Camp.
Send payment to: Mpls Alpine Ski Team/4800 Harriet Ave/55419. Make checks payable to: Mpls Alpine Ski Team.
Do NOT hand me checks at practice. I cannot be trusted to remember which pocket I put it in and it may be July before I discover it again. You can drop a check into my mailbox if you place it in an envelope and close the mailbox cover. Best to send me a text if and when you do hand deliver a check.
Meals: The following meals are included in the cost of the trip.
Required Waiver: Participants and parents must complete a GIANTS RIDGE WAIVER/Release. I will send you that waiver once I receive it from Giants Ridge.
Bring: Download the Packing List Here.
WE HAVE ROOM FOR 35 BOYS AND 35 GIRLS.
REGISTRATION IS SECURED WITH RECEIPT OF CAMP FEE PAYMENT or a $50 Deposit.
PLEASE MAIL PAYMENT TO: MPLS ALPINE/ 4800 Harriet Ave. South/ Mpls/ MN/ 55419 . Make checks payable to Mpls Alpine Ski Team.